Lanivet lies in the heart of Cornwall near the main route through Cornwall, the A30 trunk road. It has always been a major point in Cornwall lying midpoint on the old 'Saints Way', along which the early Christian saints travelling from Ireland, crossed Cornwall from Padstow to Fowey.
Lanivet means the 'Church site (lann), at Neved'. Since Neved means a 'pagan sacred place', this must have been a pre-existing name. The Parish Church is dedicated to St Nivet and is supposed to stand in the very centre of the Cornwall land mass. The present church dates from the 15th century though there is a record of a former church dating from 1338. It has a tower of three stories which contains six bells regularly rung by the local bell ringers.
At one time Lanivet Parish had eleven copper mines. Now all are closed and local work is based on farming.
On the edge of Lanivet lies St. Benets Abbey. Built in 1411 it is now run as a small hotel. The sign on Lanivet's local pub is of a panda. This relates to the time when the bamboo fed to the pandas in London Zoo was grown and harvested in Lanivet.
5km away is the Victorian stately home, Lanhydrock House. Famed for its architecture and gardens it is now run by the National Trust.
In the 1970s Lanivet was by-passed. The removal of traffic led to considerable residential development and a growth in the village to about 2400 people in the parish. The village now has good amenities including a village shop, post office, hairdressers, public house, fish and chip shop, hotel, Parish Church, Methodist Chapel and of course a local school!
A lottery bid was made for the development of Playing Fields and a Village Hall. Over half a million pounds was awarded in November 2016 and we now have a fantastic facility for the village to use.
See below for a detailed map of Lanivet.